If you’re going to read manga please do not use MangaFox, MangaHere, or any other similar sites - the manga hosting sites with all the ads. I thought this was pretty well-known (it’s pretty well-known among scanlation groups I’ve found) but apparently it’s not so here’s the information on it.
Scanlators do not like those sites - I know of groups that have shutdown because of those sites. There’s a couple of reasons they do not like them and a quick search can bring up further details but here’s the main facts:
- Those sites make a huge profit margin off of scanlator’s work - they only pay hosting fees and those ads bring in money too. Most Scanlators work for free - sometimes they ask for donations but that’s it. Mangafox/here and other sites takes those works and makes money off of it. A lot of those sites are also run by the same group - NOEZ. (x) (x) (x)
- These sites do not ask scanlators for their permission to host their scans.
- They are not scanlator-friendly. (There’s been cases of them removing scanlators’ watermarks and placing in their own when watermarks - making it seem like they are responsible for the scanlations - were put in because of this.) They say they will take it down if a scanlation if the group contacts them but there’s been cases of them ignoring requests until huge amounts of readers BACK THE SCANLATORS UP TO GET THOSE SCANLATIONS OFF THE PAGE.
Either go to the scanlation group’s website or Batoto. Baka-Updates usually does a good job of keeping up scanlator’s projects - what they’re working on, publishing schedule, and when they last updated a series so they’re a good resource to see who’s working on what manga. Batoto’s nice because all of the money they make goes to two places: hosting fees + scanlation teams for RAWS, they don’t watermark, they give credit to scanlation team, and they allow easy access for scanlators to upload/remove their projects. (x)
PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT MANGAFOX OR ANY OF THOSE OTHER SITES. Respect the scanlation teams and their wishes - they’re the ones who provide you with the content after all.
some things I would like to add in case the arguments above are not enough:
- many scanlation groups have their own reader and because they don’t use ads nor plug-ins, those are faster than manga aggregate websites.
- manga aggregate websites are home to malware. no seriously, read the article.
- manga aggregate websites host lower quality versions (sometimes with crappy watermarks) of scanlation groups’ scans. (this was the case last time I checked, it is possible something has changed here)
- to explain batoto.net in further detail, it is a manga hosting website from a scanlation group for scanlation groups. they do not host any scanlations that a scanlation group themselves do not want them to host (and the groups can choose when or how the scanlations are uploaded). scanlation groups can choose whether they want to get money from the ads, if they decline, the money goes towards hosting costs. also, the website hosts scanlations of many languages.
if you do not know which websites NOEZ owns, these are some of the more well-known ones:
mangafox.com, mangahere.com, mangarush.com, tenmanga.com, mangayes.com, mangable.com, otakushop.com, Anime-eden.com, Wallpaperfox.com, Wallpaperhere.com, Otakuzone.com, Animeonline.net, game321.com